This year International Adventure will be offering a new and exciting place in Iceland for Ptarmigan hunting. This is a prime hunting area with a five star lodge, amidst beautiful and rugged mountain landscape.
WHAT: Once in a lifetime adventure – an exclusive six (6) day trip with four (4) full days of hunting.
THE HUNT: Ptarmigan hunting is by far the most popular wing shooting sport in Iceland and game is plentiful. We are hunting wild birds only. There is no Ptarmigan breeding and releasing in Iceland. We are offering a prime hunting area in the East part of Iceland. The day´s result for a Ptarmigan hunter can be anywhere between 5 - 25 birds per day per hunter. This certainly depends on the shooting ability of each hunter, but weather may also influence the result. Of course we do not control the birds or the elements. We have had days with less result and also much better days. Iceland is a Mosquito free country. During ptarmigan hunts, we can also offer seal or seabird hunts during a part of the hunting period.
HUNTING SEASON: Hunting season is from October 15th until November 30th. The best time is October 15th until November 15th.
GUIDES: We offer the best professional guides available, often local hunters, who know the hunting areas as well as their own pockets.
FOOD & ACCOMODATIONS: Accommodation during the hunt is in the most luxurious hunting lodge available in Iceland. Our new lodge has 8 bedrooms, each with own bathroom, satellite TV and Internet connection. Included is a luxurious breakfast, a richly provided lunch box and a three course dinner. A fireplace, hot outdoor jacuzzi. A first class chef takes care of the menu. We will try to fulfill personal wishes of the hunters in regards to cuisine. When possible, we will cook wild game of the season.
- Day 0: Departure from US (New York, Baltimore, Boston, Minneapolis) appr. 20:30.
- Day 1: You will arrive at Keflavik International Airport appr. 06:30 in the morning, where you will be met by the outfitter. The outfitter will clear your weapons through customs and then transfer you to Reykjavik domestic airport. Then a flight to the East, and if the sky is clear, you will enjoy the fantastic view of the unspoiled interior of Iceland with its big glaciers, mountains and rivers. Sometimes you have a view to both the South and the North coast. After a one-hour flight you will land at Egilsstadir, a small town on the East coast of Iceland. There your guide will be waiting for you with a comfortable 4WD vehicle. That evening you will relax in the lodge over a three-course dinner.
- Day 2 - 5: We wake up before sunrise for a hearty breakfast. During the early morning light, we will head for the hunting area. The area where we hunt will depend on the amount of snow. Sometimes we will be hunting in a area with brush cover, or if snow is scarce, we head up into the mountains where the ground is more barren.
- Day 6: After breakfast we drive to the domestic airport of Egilstadir. After a one-hour flight to Reykjavik, we transfer you to Keflavik International Airport and you will depart in the afternoon approx 17:00 arriving in the US approx 18:00.
|| Oct 18th
|| Oct 19th – 22nd
|| Oct 23rd
|| Oct 23rd
|| Oct 24th - 27th
|| Oct 28th
|| Oct 28th
|| Oct 28th – 31st
|| Nov 1st
|| Nov 1st
|| Nov 1st – 4th
|| Nov 5th
|| Nov 5th
|| Nov 6th – 9th
|| Nov 10th
|| Nov 10th
|| Nov 11th – 14th
|| Nov 15th
WHAT TO BRING:
- 3-Shot Semi-auto
- Pump or O/U Shotguns in 12 gauge
- Warm, waterproof and windproof outer clothing
- Warm underwear and preferably Gore-Tex hiking boots
- Temperatures can vary from 5° - 45° F, but generally the temperature is 25°- 40° F. Upon booking we supply a detailed packing list. Hunters cannot bring dogs to Iceland.
COST: Price per person for 1 – 8 hunters is $ 3,450 - in a single occupancy. We will be combining smaller groups and individual hunters, thus offering one price to all hunters. 3-4 hunters will accompany each guide with a comfortable 4WD vehicle. Non-hunter rate is $390 per day.
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED:
- Visa, hunting license and weapon license
- All transport in Iceland
- One professional guide and a 4WD vehicle for every 3-4 hunters
- All equipment necessary during the hunt, except GPS, clothing and firearms
- Full board and lodging from arrival until departure
- Alchoholic beverages
- Excess luggage on domestic flights
- Packing and shipping of trophies
- Extra days in Reykjavik
- International flights
BRINGING BACK YOUR TROPHY: Your Ptarmigans will be prepared for your taxidermist at the end of the trip to bring back home, when you depart Iceland. We will supply you with necessary documentation from the Icelandic Government for safe importation into your home country. We can also have them shipped to your taxidermist, if you wish at an extra fee, but recommend you take them back with you as luggage.
DOCUMENTS: We need a copy of your passport, local hunting license and gun license (if issued in your country) 4- 5 weeks prior to your scheduled arrival. We need these documents in good time in order to obtain a gun license and a hunting license for you in Iceland.
GETTING THERE: Just 4 hours by air from Boston, 5 hours from JFK and 6 hours from Minneapolis. Icelandair is the only major airline serving Iceland.
BAGGAGE: Try and keep your baggage weight limit to 50-60 pounds to avoid any excess baggage charges on domestic flights in Iceland (not included in price).
INSURANCE: Purchase of insurance in case of an accident, hospitalization or death is the sole responsibility of the client. We also recommend the client to protect himself with baggage and trip cancellation insurance.